Tuesday, October 4, 2011

The Voice


One of my biggest goals as a parent is to send my children into the world prepared to find their own unique way.  I believe the best tool they have to help them navigate effectively is through the use of their:  gut, intuition, heart, or what I like to call the inner voice. (my son calls it the brain within the brain)

Some people believe that the voice is your higher self or God...I happen to believe it is probably both.  But, I don't think it matters what you call it...so long as you listen and honor it.   Because I will tell you, from lots of experience, my inner voice has never let me down.  I've learned this lesson most powerfully by not listening to it, which usually feels like a blunt kick in the shins.  (good times!)

Six years ago, I was standing in the kitchen of my friend Teresa's house discussing our kids and ways to best prepare them for life.  She said that for her the words in Shel Silverstein's poem, The Voice, which her son had memorized in first grade...nailed it.  Then she proceeded to recite it by heart, which gave me goosebumps from head to toe. (my tell tale sign of hearing the truth)

When I got home, to my delight, I found the book, FALLING UP, which contained the poem, already in our library.  That night I shared it with my husband, and we both agreed that this was the perfect manifesto for our family.

The Voice

There is a voice inside of you 
That whispers all day long
"I feel that this is right for me,
I know that this is wrong."
No teacher, preacher, parent, friend
Or wise man can decide
What's right for you...just listen to
The voice that speaks inside.

By Shel Silverstein

Our whole family has memorized it and we recite it together every Sunday night.

Thanks Teresa for just one of many gifts you have given to our family. 

If you like what you've read so far I invite you to follow my blog by clicking:  
JOIN THIS SITE and you can also follow CJ Blake by email, which will update you when there is a new posting.  If you would like to comment you can email me at c@cjblake.net.

No comments:

Post a Comment