Monday, October 10, 2011

If Jesus Were A Rocker In 2011?



Hands down I'd choose Michael Franti...I even think he looks like my image of Jesus.  And you know the dreadlocks are a real possibility... because let's be honest hair care has come a long way since 27 A.D..

I'm not sure I have hit groupie status, but for me to see any live band more that once might justify the title.  Last, Saturday night I saw Michael Franti and Spearhead for the fourth time, at the Greek Theater in Berkeley.  It was amazing...to say the least.  We bounced for two hours straight in a mosh pit of love.

Elsie and her husband joined us for a much needed couples weekend...no kids! (which I highly recommend if you can swing it).  Elsie might actually be classified as a true groupie.  She knows the words to all his songs, his birthday, how many kids he has and their names, his marital/dating status and his complete concert schedule.

Bonus!  His music is great for the whole family, from my four year old to my teen...he hits every note.


Here are the top ten songs (Elsie had 20 and the list was growing) that we feel best represent the heart of Jesus' message. (that is if he was a 21st century rocker)  I think Micheal's lyrics prove my point perfectly.  Thanks Elsie for the help!

1.    Never Too Late
2.    East to the West
3.    Bomb the World
4.    Yes I Will (Songs from the Front Porch) version
5.    Have a Little Faith
6.    Nobody Right, Nobody Wrong
7.    Hey World (Don't Give Up) version
8.    Is Love Enough?
9.    See You In The Light
10.  Everyone Deserves Music

Check out these songs and let me know what you think.  If you don't own any Michael Franti get Everyone Deserves Music first because they have a lot of my favorite songs and a very close second is Yell Fire.

"POWER TO THE PEACEFUL"
This is the man's motto...need I say more?

I feel like some of our best preachers are singer/songwriters spreading the love through their music.  If you were to choose a musical artist who best expresses your spiritual bend...who would you choose?  I'd love to know.  Email me at c@cjblake.net and share your thoughts.

Thanks to everyone who shared their secret movie-star-best-friends with me.  From Ellen DeGeneres, Demi Moore (even George Harrison who is a singer, but it still counts) to Lady Gaga...they were all excellent choices and made me feel a little less silly.

Ellen loves Michael Franti, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment