Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Could You Be Arranged?


I really love Netflix.  They provide excellent recommendations based on my ratings of previously viewed films and television.  For months, when I have looked to them for suggestions, ARRANGED has been at the top of the list.  For whatever reason, probably the poster, I was not inclined to watch it.  Plus, it looked like it might have subtitles...and God knows I am rarely in the mood for subtitles.

Then a few weeks ago while on the phone with my friend Amber, I asked if she had seen any good movies lately.  I was in the process of updating my Netflix queue, and we often compare notes about films and television we like.  She immediately suggested ARRANGED, convinced I would love it.

"Are you sure?"  I asked skeptically.

"Yes, it is really sweet," she insisted.

"Are there any subtitles?" I asked sure that there were.

"No subtitles and the best part is... it's on Netflix instant play!" She giggled.  

She had me at instant play...I just love this feature.  And aside from a few bad recommendations in the past (like Nurse Jackie and Dexter...way to dark for me) she has rarely steered me wrong.   

A couple of days later, bored and needing some inspiration I plunked down on my couch, hit play (in the middle of the day I might add...pure decadence... I strongly recommend it) and I loved it!  I still can't get this film out of my mind.  It was sweet, funny, and uplifting.  Sometimes it is the simplest film that moves me the most.

I even found the concept of an arranged marriage to be more rational than I had previously considered.  It opened my mind to a cultural institution against which I had previously had an extreme bias.

The premise of this film is about two twenty something woman:  one a strict Muslim and the other an orthodox Jew, and the very unlikely friendship that forms around their impending arranged marriages.

Enough said...trust me it is great for the whole family...but probably leans towards a chick flick.

Enjoy!

If you have any good movie recommendations send them my way to: c@cjblake.net.

No comments:

Post a Comment