Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Unlikely Twilight Bonding


Several months ago as I was visiting with my old home school friends I found myself in a surprising conversation.

Two of the young men (to protect the innocent or blackmail potential later I am using only initials, but you know who you are: J and L)  and I were discussing books we were currently reading and L mentioned he had just finished New Moon.

Like anyone who is infected with Twilight fever, my eyes lit up...I was a giggling teenage girl again and L and I were grokking on all things Twilight.  There really isn't a lot I enjoy more than sharing and discussing a book or a movie that I love.  L jumped right in with me and we did not stop talking until his mom finally said it was time to leave.

From that day forward an unlikely friendship developed between us that I did not see coming.  He has reached out to me a number of times to help him edit his own novel, and discuss other books we both love (can you say Hunger Games)

Recently, L and his family were traveling across the country and his parents were cool enough to take him to Forks, Washington (the setting of the Twilight series).  To my complete surprise and delight L sent me a Twilight mug and a map of Forks! (I am drinking coffee from the mug as I write this blog...I love it!)  

What I discovered through reading these books is that they bond me to the most unlikely people.  For instance...the lady I connected with in line at the movies the other day (she had at least 6 piercings in her face, tattoos, and pink hair... that is the "unlikely" I am talking about).  She was buying her tickets to the premiere of Breaking Dawn and while she was a little embarrassed to tell me what she was doing...it quickly faded when I said, "Oh, I get it...I will be there, too!"  We then went on to discuss other books we loved, and our excitement over the upcoming event. 

It is so much fun to share and connect over a common interest.  I just can't believe how many teens to forty-year-old women I have bonded with over these books...Stephenie Meyer's truly tapped into something here. 

More Twilight revelations on Thursday!

No comments:

Post a Comment