Wednesday, November 9, 2011

The Icon of Hair



I just watched a fabulous documentary film about the creator of the asymmetrical bob, Vidal Sassoon.  He gets my iconoclast recognition for his ability to not only excel in his work, but also in his body, mind, and spirit.  He is truly an inspirational and revolutionary man. (but, I don't think I would want to work for him...you'll get my drift if you watch the film)

Ever since I heard Terri Gross interview him on Fresh Air, I have been waiting for this movie to hit Netflix.  I have had it in my queue for months and a few Saturdays ago, as I was trolling instant play (you know how I love instant play), I was shocked to find it in my inbox.  Immediately I sat down with a cup of coffee and settled in for the film. (10 pauses later... I was done...kids!)

There was so much I did not know about this man...that he was married three times... to his gut wrenching childhood.  I knew he was a perfectionist, but to what level, I had no idea.


The above picture is of Vidal and Mary Quant (she invented the mini-skirt) as he is giving her his iconic Five Point hair style.

Shout out to Craig Teper, the film's director, who shot a beautiful, moving, and inspirational documentary...well done!

Vidal's life inspired me to do more, be more and keep following my heart.  Love that!  Now that is what I call 'good news.'

Bucket List Item:  I would love to have Vidal cut my hair- just one time.

No comments:

Post a Comment