Monday, November 14, 2011

Twilight Fever


If you had told me a couple of years ago that I would be obsessed with a book series about werewolves and vampires, my response would have been..."Are you f***ing kidding me?"

What can I say?  Stephenie Meyer's had me by page 5 (and it all started so innocently).

It was August 2010 and my kids asked to rent the movie New Moon, based on the second novel in the 4 book series.

"Sure...but are YOU sure?" I asked.  "They look kind of cheesy," I added to emphasize my disdain over the proposition.

After watching this movie I was more convinced than ever that the fans had lost their minds.  The movies were so weird and campy...I just didn't get it.

I was explaining my review of the movie to a friend when the strangest thing happened...her eyes lit up, her postured changed, and her mood shifted to that of a giggling teenager.  She exclaimed, "Those books are amazing!  I couldn't put them down...you have to read the books to get the movies...and then they are really fun."

"REALLY?"  I asked incredulously.

"REALLY!!!  Trust me on this one...you will love them," she responded with unbridled passion.


I was confident she was wrong. To prove my point I felt it was my duty to read the first book to back up my belief that she and millions of others were delusional.  Well...the joke was on me because not only was I hooked, but I couldn't get enough!

(Now this next part is a little embarrassing... but since I've discussed my weight with you publicly, why hold back now?)


From August 2010 through March 2011 I read each book a minimum of 5 times, and logged 7 reads of Breaking Dawn (excluding the Jacob part...which I often skipped over).  Can you say obsessed?  I was close to needing a 12 step program...but finally I burned out and stopped reading them and now I am just a typical fan.

In honor of the Breaking Dawn (Part 1) premiere on November 18, 2011... for the next week I will be sharing all the 'good news' I have received from this odd series of books and movies.  Get ready... some of my revelations might shock you.

2 comments: