Thursday, December 15, 2011

The Playlist That Bonds


Like many of you, I have children who are on completely different schedules.  My oldest son starts school at 7:20, followed by my middle son at 8:40 and my youngest daughter at 9:00...it is enough to make me crazy.

The 'good news' about this varied schedule is that I get to spend one-on-one time with each child in the morning, starting with my freshman in high school. We usually get up around 6 am, eat breakfast, make lunches, and discuss life and our varied interests.

But when we hit the car it is music time.  For most adults it can be a challenge to find music that both parent and teenager can enjoy.  My son is obsessed with music so I challenged him to find some songs we could both enjoy after he complained about me playing Adele or Sara Bareilles for the hundredth time.

To my delight and surprise from that day forward he has really opened my mind to some amazing music and bands that I would otherwise never have considered.

Each morning I am excited to see what he has for me.  His music has made us closer and brought us hours of happiness.   Now that is what I call 'good news!'
 
The Roots a surprisingly great band!
Here is the Playlist of my top 10 favorite songs he has turned me onto:

1.   Broken Bells:  The High Road
2.   The Roots:  The Seed
3.   Foster the People:   Helena Beat
4.   Blackalicious:  Deception
5.   John Legend & The Roots:  Hard Times
6.   The Heavy (I heard this one in 2 movies this weekend)How You Like Me Now
7.   Jurassic 5:  What's Golden
8.   Arctic Monkeys:  Mardy Bum
9.   Martin Solveig & Dragonette:  Hello
10. Miss Li:  Dancing The Whole Way Home   


Whether it is music, books, movies, or sports...if you have a teenager (or really any age) try to find a way to connect with them on their level.  It is fun, interesting, and frankly a key ingredient to having a long lasting relationship with your child.  Try it...you'll like it! 

*Please be warned this is not your typical top 40 stuff...except maybe Foster the People.  We will also burn this list onto a CD  for our Xmas basket, which will be his contribution to our favorite things.

No comments:

Post a Comment