Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Glitter Love


My Favorite Things
One of my favorite stores (and people) can be found in the heart of Nevada City at the top of Broad Street, and it is aptly named My Favorite Things.

Tina Haller (Basich for those who are snowboarding fans) is the owner of this unique shop that houses her spectacular and original merchandise, and she also has a full-blown art studio where anyone can come and create their own glitter masterpieces.

Every year I send my three children to Tina where they can create handmade gifts to give to their grandparents and add to our basket.

This tradition of making homemade gifts began when I was nine-years-old and my Momo (my grandmother) invited me to her home where she taught me the art of giving.  She explained that I was old enough to start giving to those I loved; and she made it a lot of fun, too.

For years, we baked in her kitchen where she instructed me on how to make cookies, fudge, and popcorn balls...she said the key was to follow the recipe exactly...do not waiver, and you can't go wrong (I still follow this advice today).  I included the baked goodies in beautiful baskets that I presented to everyone in my family. 

I have passed this tradition onto my children, and they haven't gone wrong, with the help of the Glitter Girl Studio...a place to create, inspire, and sparkle.

The studio can also be booked for private events: birthday parties, bridal showers, classes...

Glitter Girl Studio set-up for baby shower!
The studio is amazing, and so user friendly (the best part is the glitter mess is there and NOT at my house!).  My kids have created beautiful one-of-a-kind items from music boxes to holiday ornaments.  Everything they've made have become treasured keepsakes. 

Her store is magical too... full of amazing items from Vietri dishes (now 30% off) to a great selection of mercury glass, holiday decorations, candles, cards...and so much more!

Glitter Girl Studio Hours:  10:30-5:00 daily (closed on Tuesdays), $5 per person a day use fee plus materials.

*In fact I need to get my kids into the studio pronto...tick tock!

1 comment: